Australian Institute of Sport
Share a Yarn
The purpose of the Share a Yarn initiative is to provide Australian Elite Athletes with meaningful opportunities to connect and build relationships with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities, and learn more about the differing cultures, lands, histories, and peoples within them. It aims to provide a platform for athletes to then share these learnings and advocate within the sporting community, and wider Australian community.
To Share a Yarn is to encourage collaborative, respectful, and honest communication between participants; building trust, fostering accountability, and providing a safe place to listen and learn.
- Athlete Ambassadors have increased knowledge of the traditional owners of Australia, the land, their history, and their culture
- Athlete Ambassadors share learnings as a role model in the Australian community
- Initiative encourages and supports organisations/initiatives in the community aiming to close the gap for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people
- Initiative encourages and supports change in the sporting system in Australia for better outcomes for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Athletes
iyarn and Share a Yarn
Checking in with yourself and others provides a path to deeper connection.
iyarn is a platform that has been built specifically for check ins and will be used throughout the program.
These check ins are a starting place for discussion. During these check ins, we’ll be talking about a range of topics as we learn more about differing cultures, lands, histories, and peoples within them.
Quick Start Guide for iyarn
To complete your check in, you will need to:
- Wait until the program lead has sent you the right link for the check in.
- Once you’ve received the link, click on the link and complete the short signup process.
- Select the wheel and you can now Complete a Check In by clicking on the orange button. This will be in the top right of your screen (on desktop) or in the centre of the screen (on the mobile app).
- Think about how you are going. Leave your rating for each segment of the wheel. Leave a comment too!
- Check out your results. If you feel like it, talk about your highs (and lows).
Take the Check In!
A link to the check in is provided below: